Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Short Interview: Zackery of Toro

Toro
This year Toro released an EP, Departure, DIY, naturally.

Zackery Hembree took a few minutes of his time to visit the Studio Ghibli Wing of the Glacially Musical Headquarters. After we finished viewing Totoro, we were able to speak about Toro.

GM: What made you want to become a musician?

Zackery- Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.

Well, there is no singular way to answer this question. From early memory, I'd have to say my musical interest developed from around age 5. I come from a musical and artistic family and being born into that type of environment definitely cultivated my love for music.

I'd say the "turning point" so to speak was at age 11 when I saw the video for Metallica's "One". That, without a doubt, sealed the deal for me.

Instantly it changed my entire perspective on music and and in that moment I knew that music was what I wanted to do with my life.

GM: What's the best way to enjoy music?

Z-Live shows are always the best way. Second to that, vinyl, either on a killer stereo or in headphones.

Just as long as it is loud.

GM: Tell me the last five songs played on your MP3 player.

Z-I actually don't use an MP3 player. I listen to physical copies of music: CD, vinyl, and tape.

Lately, I have been binging on Type O Negative, Death, Morbid Angel, and Suffocation.

I've been listening to "Beneath the Remains" by Sepultura a lot lately as well.

GM: Who's your greatest influence?

Z-That may be an impossible question for me to answer without many hours of consideration.

At this moment, my greatest influences musically are my bandmates in TORO. I feed off their creativity, as they do with mine.

Everything they come to the table with musically is inspiring to me, and I strive to return the same to them.

GM: You tell me, what do we need to know about you?

Z-I think music should be a sincere platform for creativity, and it is the most personal yet universal language that exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment