Sunday, May 7, 2017

Vinyl Review: "Microwave Dreams" by John Wesley Coleman III

Microwave Dreams
Have you ever had a really bad day?

Today, well, frankly, it wasn't that bad, but it was a rough one. Aside from the birthday party, the battery on my hybrid hitting purple, and having to go get a new extension cord for my new electric lawnmower....

I'm beyond wiped.

The irony of my complaining about technology not suiting me while writing about being a Luddite, well, that's certainly not lost on me whatsoever.

I suppose, it's just that somethings we don't need to improve upon. Cars? Yeah, we need to improve upon that. I drive a hybrid for several reasons. Naturally, the fact that on a normal week my Prius gets better gas mileage than my Honda Civic did on it's best day is wonderful. Helping the planet is also a great thing.

But that's just how some of us are when it comes to driving technology and the like. In some instances there are things that are frankly better the way they were before rather than the way they are now.

Shaving is definitely one of those things. When my great grandfather was a child, men had to go to the barber to get a shave. Honestly, that's something that needs a vinyl like rebirth, because shaving everyday or close to is pretty darned annoyed and the shaving materials aren't getting nay cheaper.

But let's talk about some vinyl.

John Wesley Coleman III has unleashed an interesting take on some sort of music with Microwave Dreams.

There are times when I think I have this record figured out and then he sings songs about not thinking Jesus Christ attended Junior High.

It would be simplistic to call Microwave Dreams a collection of synth pop tracks and incorrect to call it a rock record.

In many ways it's both things.

This is a hard record to review because it's very hard to describe not only the specific music being played, but the genres of music that Coleman is inhabiting.

In the fashion of a true artist, Coleman's tracks feature varying lineups that create differing soundscapes.

That's a big part of what makes this album so much fun. There's very little rhyme or reason to this beyond this song feels good, turn on the little red recording light.

There are times when I think about what life must have been like when we didn't have recorded music to entertain ourselves. Based on this album, John Wesley Coleman III's life probably wouldn't be different at all.

Microwave Dreams was pressed on a good, heavyweight vinyl disc. There's no warping on this one at all.

Like most of the Super Secret Records albums we've reviewed so far, the packaging is a bit spartan. You get the record, the download code, a record sleeve, and the lyric sheet.

Put it on the platter and enjoy.

Release: 1/27/17
Genre: I have no idea.
Label: Super Secret Records
Formats: LP/CD
Facebook
Order





1 comment: