Monday, May 15, 2017

LP Review: "Beyond The Dark Border" by Horrid

Beyond The Dark Border
Many people have told me that I bear a resemblance to someone they know. In the past, my jobs were in the public, so meeting new and (not so) interesting people daily and hearing their (totally not) original stories was part of the job description.

Many people wanted to tell me that I look just like Mike Myers and has anyone ever told me this?

The standard response became, only every day since about 1992.

Now that my visage is older and Myers has aged differently than me, it doesn't happen as much as it used to, but there's still an effect there.

Here's the strong takeaway, if you see someone that you believe resembles a celebrity, don't tell them. The difference between the chances you're the first and nil are basically incalculable unless you're the entire geometry department at MIT.

Horrid
It seems that Horrid's promos have been sloshing around in my inbox for years, but their logo always seems to be a little bit different.

We're also living in an age where there are several bands that have the same name.

When the "(Italy)" is added behind their name...it's even more confusing.

Is this a new band?

Is this that same band?

As it turns out, it was the same band. Their previous two releases, though great, never made it to my review pages, due to some thing or another.

Name similarities aside, Horrid does what every great death metal band should do: they make people uncomfortable. When a little kid walks nearby, the urge to turn down the music will be huge.

Let's get one thing nice and clear...the drumming on this album is top notch. My readers know what I think about drummers and blast beats...I'm not going to take credit for this, but I will laud it.

This is Old School Death Metal played through Peavey 5150's and streamed through a sepia filter.

That's a strange statement, yes. We're talking about Deicide style riffage but with Cattle Decapitation's tone...(NOTE: Not specifics...just trying to get an idea.)

The only room for improvement is the guitar solos...after listening to this record twice, there aren't any that really stuck with me.

Just check it out and see how much that matters to you at the end of the disc though.

Release: 6/2/17
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Dunkelheit Produktions
Formats: LP/CD/Digital
Facebook
Preorder

No comments:

Post a Comment