Friday, December 23, 2016

LP Review: "Turm am Hang" by Horn

Trum am Hang
"It's easier if I do it myself."

This is something that my mother said to me every time she critiqued my doing of the dishes. They were never clean enough and never done fast enough.

What in the world did she have me do it if it that was harder?

Until about seven days ago, it was clear to me that this was the greatest lie my mother had ever spoken to me. What I didn't know then, was well, parenting.

Teaching my daughter how to clean her room....it's a nightmare and absolute nightmare and it frankly is just easier if I do it myself...it gets done quicker, with less whining, and then I can go listen to records, but that's not right for my daughter is it?

Horn
By and large, solo acts annoy me. Firstly, because it's an ego driven pursuit.

Consider Ozzy Osbourne.

He basically shows up and sings, but the folks doing the heavy lifting are merely employees.

At least Ace Frehley plays most of the instruments, except well, on his last album...

But how often does a person have the ability and the desire to become such a strong multi-instrumentalist that their solo album sounds not only like a band, but like a band that's new, fresh, and exciting.

Of course, being as this is the seventh release by Horn, it's not precisely new.

For me however, and other first timers, Horn is going to sound delightfully out there. The listener is greeted by violins to lead off the LP, but not classical violins. Scratchy, tavern violins.

Turm am Hang takes off from there going into strange new places featuring standard tropes used in odd places.

Though, it's referred to as Pagan Black metal, there's also a goodly dousing of death metal vocals, clean vocals, and just atmospheric backing vocals.

Though sung wholly in German, or perhaps because of, I have no idea what he's talking about, but I like what I'm hearing.

Release: 1/27/17
Genre: Pagan Black Metal
Label: Iron Bonehead
Formats: LP/CD/Digital
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment