Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Album Review: "Face The Sun" by Dam Gila

Face The Sun
What you might not know about me, aside from being a Grade A nobody in the international internet media, is that I'm also a pretty crappy guitarist.

Like being media, I'm also a musician.

Over the course of my professional career, I have earned tens of dollars performing music.

I believe the kids call that stacks on stacks.

So, that's part of why I tend to focus on the guitars and stick to, for the most part, guitar music because it's what strikes my fancy. That's part of why pop music doesn't really much appeal to me. It often lacks guitars, atmosphere, wah wah pedals, and kick ass solos.

Dam Gila, the nom de plume of an already established musician is known for dream psych pop. I'd tell you the real name, but I'm a bit tired and I've got to YAWN.

Dam Gila
It's always interesting to tackle and interesting ideas that don't necessarily speak to my likes and dislikes today, but I'll give anything a try.

The album starts off like any synth psych smooth ice cream pop (or dreamsicle) record should. The drum beats are beating like well, mechanical drums.

Then out of nowhere this kick ass, wah drenched, Jimi Hendrix inspired guitar solo shows up and it has that sound. The sound of god that always makes me stick to it.

As we travel further on down the line, the Hammond Organ comes out and it's hard to not wonder where all of these sounds are coming from. We (The Royal We) have no experience with this man's day job, so there's no point of reference here.

In times it's almost like taking some of the best parts of the Doors and sticking them in with the best parts of Jimi Hendrix, and then syncing it all over a pop beat.

It would be irresponsible to not mention the man's voice. A powerful ranger his voice would be. In Middle Earth, Gila's voice would be elf able to mow down enemies from the tallest towers. In short, he moves from Falsetto, to Baritone, with some raging Tenor runs tossed in.

Release: 4/1/16
Genre: Synth Pop
Label: Joyful Noise
Facebook 


No comments:

Post a Comment