Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Album Review: "Once Entombed" by Abyssus

Once Entombed
When I consider my circle of friends, I have to admit there are many close friends of mine that I have not seen in some time.

You know, life is busy. I have a wife and daughter, a blog, a pile of video games to play, but I do my best to keep in contact with all of them.

Modern technology sure helps with that doesn't it?

Yesterday, I was talking to a friend of mine. It's been a long time since we've spoken. She's gone through some changes and I told her that I'd buy her a drink when she has the time.

What do you say when you talk to a friend and it's been awhile? Well, what are you up to? It's such a simple question that works ever so well for the small talk and irony impaired, like myself.

Well, Abyssus, What have you been up to?

Abyssus
Abyssus is releasing a what have you been up to record.

This album features a goodly chunk of their non-LP output. EPs, their halves of split EPs, etc.

The coolest thing about this album is that the songs are in reverse chronological order. So we hear how they have progressed and changed over the years.

It feels like I'm watching someone grow up, just backwards

The first few tracks, taken from their latest EP feels different from the meat of the tracks.

It's explosive death metal, but on a time limit. Those songs are short, angry, and not Grindcore. It's the closest thing I've heard that crosses the gap between punk rock and death metal that isn't Grindcore.

This is a band that has a lot to say and will go about saying it any way they damned well please because they've never been concerned about changing up their delivery.

Great guitars. Perfect death vocals. The best production I've heard on an indie label.

Abyssus has worshiped at the altar of classic death metal and been able to write songs that sound nothing like those bands.

Release: 2/28/16
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Transcending Obscurity Classic
Facebook Link

No comments:

Post a Comment