Monday, June 29, 2015

Album Review: "Bicycling In Quicksand" by Derek Bishop

Bicycling In Quicksand
Twitter is kind of a funny thing. Unlike Levar Burton's Levar Burton character from The Big Bang Theory, I'm not finished with Twitter...the connections I've made there have been great.

As a semi-famous music blogger who can't ever seem to get himself to shut up for more than four to five minutes at a time....

I have connected with about seven million bands over the years of doing this. Most of them follow me, then I follow back, they never interact with me, never talk to me about coverage, and then unfollow me later.

I'm kind of a big deal you see.

Well here's one of those rare times when the artist actually interacted with me, chose to send me his music, and well is just a general good follow. Click here and do that. Just be forewarned, this is not Simon Pegg's alter ego...as far as I know.

Derek Bishop...looks like Simon Pegg right?
I'm a child of the 80's and I lived through a lot of what's influenced Bishop.

This album has a Culture Club, Wanted Dead or Alive, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Bangles, and Super Mario Bros. vibe.

If you're looking for a pure musical instrument driven album, I don't think you're going to find much to like here.

If you're looking for a hop back in time, well get in the DeLorean and let's rock out like we're listening to 1999 by Prince before it actually happened.

Bicycling in Quicksand features a number of high energy tracks bursting with optimism.

Bishop's tenor vocals work so well with the odd instrumentation surrounding his voice. Aside from the requisite "wet" drum sound, streaks of synths, and keys, there is a hyper clarity on the bass line.

I've never heard a bass sound like that.

Nostalgia for my romanticized youth aside, this album succeeds because of Bishop's top notch sense of melody and writing. You'll easily find yourself being reeled in by his hooks.

You won't be able to listen to this album without bobbing your head. Its sound, though rooted in the free wheeling eighties, is wholly unique and shouts over the din of prepackaged synth pop.

Make sure you're paying attention.

Release: 6/9/15 (out now on vinyl!)
Genre: Pop
Label: DIY
Facebook Link


No comments:

Post a Comment