Monday, February 2, 2015

Album Review: "Steel Bearing Hand" by Steel Bearing Hand

Steel Bearing Hand
Lately I have seen a spate of eponymous debut albums.

To me, that's an absolutely wonderful thing. I cannot tell you how many different bands I have reviewed on this site but in my over 250 reviews and interviews, it cannot be more than ten brand new artists that I have reviewed.

Maybe it's more, I really don't know.

This is the kind of thing that really sets me ablaze though. I started this blog with the idea that there was still great music being made.

It has evolved into my only reviewing what I consider to be albums that you should own if you like these genres.

I am pleased to introduce you to the eponymous debut of Dallas's Steel Bearing Hand. I'm even not totally in hate with the name. We know now that all the great names have been taken.



Steel Bearing Hand
Steel Bearing Hand is purported to be an old school death metal band.

They are that in spades, but it's a disservice to call them just that. This album has little in common with Death or Deicide.

Aside from the first track, this album is packed full of epic death metal songs. They tarry far longer than the standard four minute death grinds.

The guitars sound like Satan himself is in the cords pushing through amps. The overdrive is so thick and tasty. They are not using the modern metal setups that are heard all the time.

Amazingly enough, on the rhythm tracks, they are using all six strings on their guitars. Their riffs are never stale, never boring, and never predictable. It's a truly refreshing thing.

There are lead breaks all over the record, but the honest to god solos seem to come out of nowhere. They're played at the speed of insanity and are very musical.

Vocally we hear some very nice, low growls. The drums have a unique softness to them that keeps them from overpowering the rest of the music. Steel Bearing Hand has escaped the production trap that has ensnared many a death metal novice.

After the first two minutes of this album, you'll want to buy the record, but after the first ten minutes, you'll hear that they are, in their first album, truly masters of the genre.

Release: 3/10/15
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Unholy Anarchy
Facebook Link
Bandcamp Link

No comments:

Post a Comment