Friday, January 23, 2015

Album Review: "Mature Necropsy" by Putrid Offal

Mature Necropsy
A few months ago, I received Putrid Offal's EP.

It was my introduction to one of the first death metal/gore grind bands from France. It contained three versions of their most famous song and a brand new song recorded in 2014.

Needless to say, I absolutely loved what I heard on that disc, but the shortness of it really left me wanting for more.

Today I have in my hands their first full release, ever.

In the early 90's, they released a demo, an EP, and a slew of splits, but never really took off. In 1991 when their demo, Unformed, was circulating, Death Metal was still very, very new.

There were precious few record labels that were interested in the first genre of extreme metal, but thanks to trailblazers like Putrid Offal, Carcass, Obituary, Deicide, Master, and more, there is a world of death metal to explore.

Let's explore Putrid Offal's new release.

Putrid Offal
Would it be too cliche to say that they're back from the dead?

Well they are.

Putrid Offal sounds very reminiscent of the Tampa Bay Death Metal scene we all know and love.

Carpet bombing snare drums, guttural growls, guitars as thick as a Double IPA.

The guitars on this record are just spectacular. Not content with just doubling the rhythm parts, there is actual guitar interplay between the two main guitars creating a fuller and more interesting sound. Much of extreme metal can get monotonous.

This is the classic thick, distorted sound, not the EMG through 5150 sound that's all the rage these days...yes I do rally against that sound a bit too much don't I?

With the vocals in this genre, it's easy to come across as very hokey instead of authentic. There's none of that here. The anger and pain shine through brilliantly.

If I had a complaint, it's that the guitar solos do not shine as brightly as I personally enjoy, but if you're looking for a heavy, angry, and brutal death metal record to raise your fist to...

Here you are.

Release: 2/10/15
Genre: Death Metal
Label: Kaotoxin Records
Facebook Link



No comments:

Post a Comment