Monday, February 11, 2013

Album Review: "Til The Casket Drops" by ZZ Ward

This album arrived to the Amazon recommendations list and it looked like something that might be enjoyable. With my personal swerve towards blues and blues rock, this seemed like it would be a good purchase.

This is the full length debut of ZZ Ward. She has been working steadily in the underworld of music seeking a break. The 26 year old Ward started playing in bands at the age of 12.

This is a very talented woman in many ways. Her lyrics are phenomenal and she plays the guitar, harmonica, piano, and more. She is certainly the kind of musician that my wife would just absolutely love, which is why I suppose that I do not.

This album, while bluesy, is far too dependent on pop music dynamics for me to really appreciate it as an album.



From the moment the opening/title track starts there is a vibe to this album. It's serious. It's a bit dark. It's heavy, but it's all centered around a vocal line and a drum beat. When music is constructed and arranged in this fashion, it just goes outside of my personal net and I don't find it enjoyable.

There were no musical breaks. There were no interludes. At least 75% of this album is ZZ singing over the drum beat with backing music.

This album is very well constructed and written. Many times during my spin of this disc I was really enjoying a moment, but as an album it falls flat for me. Pop music, no matter how well crafted isn't my cup of tea. It's not like this album will be deleted out of my iTunes or anything like that, but the actual CD will never get another spin from me. For a song or two, this music is very enjoyable, but not for a 45 minute album.

If you enjoy pop music, this is a great album. If you're looking for pop music with a twist, this is an even better album.

Genre: Pop
Year: 2012
Run time: 44:50

Track listing:

1) Till The Casket Drops
2) Put The Gun Down
3) Blue Eyes Blind
4) Home
5) Cryin' Wolf (Featuring Kendrick Lamar)
6) Save My Life
7) Last Love Song
8) Lil Darlin (Featuring O'Mys)
9) Move Like U Stole It
10) Criminal Song (Featuring Freddie Gibbs)
11) If I Could Be Her
12) Charlie Ain't Home
13) 365 Days


3 comments:

  1. I'm decidedly NOT a fan of pop music, though I believe some music can be classified in multiple categories and so I try not to dismiss anything outright. I don't care much for many of her songs (gave this a listen this afternoon) but she has a great voice. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a bunch of pop I do enjoy, but it's not modern styled pop. When I heard about Ms. Ward, she was touted as a blueswoman...which she may have been when she was signed...

    But once that major label digs into you...they make changes...the bring in all kinds of writers...

    Ask my man Spose about that:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_20939_7-things-record-deal-teaches-you-about-music-industry.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great album. Blue Eyes Blind and Last Love Song are my faves. Emma, lead singer of http://tfortrubbs.com/

    ReplyDelete